Substance abuse, addictions and harm prevention
The MSAH is involved in policy planning, guidance and drafting legislation concerning alcohol, tobacco and drug use, including harm prevention caused by substance and tobacco and nicotine products use.
In addition, the MSAH works to prevent and reduce harm due to gambling.
The Substance Abuse and Addiction Strategy
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health has prepared a new Substance Abuse and Addiction Strategy until 2030. The aim is to prevent and reduce the risks, harms and problems caused by the use of alcohol, tobacco and nicotine products as well as drug use and gambling in all age groups.
The strategy is the first one in Finland to address a wide range of substance abuses and addictions. The core idea of the strategy is that the harm caused by substance abuse and addictions can be prevented and treated better than at present. Succeeding in this requires that we engage in comprehensive planning and effective action in different sectors.
The Substance Abuse and Addiction Strategy has the following five priorities:
- strengthening the rights of people suffering from substance abuse or experiencing addiction-related harm who are covered by substance abuse services, as well as the rights of those close to them;
- strengthening cooperation, information flow, expertise and knowledge base;
- intensifying alcohol, tobacco and nicotine, drug and gambling policy measures;
- ensuring the quality, accessibility and availability of both preventive work and substance abuse and addiction services;
- ensuring cooperation and expertise at the Government level to address substance abuse and addictions.
- Substance abuse and addiction strategy – common guidelines for 2030 (Publications of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health 2021/17, In Finnish)
- Alcohol, tobacco, drugs and gambling in Finland – Background report for the Substance Use and Addiction Strategy (Discussion Paper 4/2021, In Finnish)
- Action Plan on Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs and Gambling - Interim evaluation and measures to be intensified until 2025 (Ministry of Social Affairs and Health reports and memorandums 2021: 13, In Finnish)
Alcohol policy coordinated by the MSAH seeks to tackle the social, health and societal harm caused by alcohol abuse.
Further information: Senior Counsellor Ismo Tuominen, p. +358 2951 63341, ismo.tuominen(at)stm.fi
The MSAH coordinates Finland's policy on drugs, which is implemented in collaboration with different administrative sectors. The aim of policy is to prevent the use and spread of drugs in order to lessen the harmful impact caused in economic, social and individual terms.
Further information: Ministerial Adviser Elina Kotovirta, p. +358 2951 163713, elina.kotovirta(at)stm.fi
The MSAH takes a leading role in promoting a tobacco and nicotine-free Finland. It is responsible for the implementation of the Tobacco Act, which stipulates measures to end the use of tobacco and nicotine products.
Further information: Ministerial Adviser Meri Paavola, p. +358 295163343, meri.paavola(at)stm.fi
The MSAH directs efforts to tackle the financial, social and health-related harms caused by gambling.
Further information: Senior Specialist Mari Pajula, p. +358 2951 63040, mari.pajula(at)stm.fi