Advisory Board for Public Health
The Advisory Board for Public Health supports the implementation of measures to develop wellbeing, health and safety in different sectors of society, also outside the healthcare and social welfare sector.
The members of the Advisory Board come from various administrative branches, representing different ministries, Regional State Administrative Agencies, towns and cities, organisations, universities and research and development institutes.
The tasks of the Advisory Board are to:
- monitor the development of wellbeing, health and safety and the implementation of health and social policy
- develop national health and social policy
- strengthen the economy of wellbeing approach, and
- cooperate with different administrative branches, organisations and other parties in promoting wellbeing, health and safety.
Main tasks for 2020-2023
During its term of office in 2020–2023, the Advisory Board carries out these tasks, with a focus on the following:
1. Guiding and monitoring the implementation of the government resolution ‘Promotion of wellbeing, health and safety 2030’.
- The government resolution entitled ‘Promotion of wellbeing, health and safety 2030’ (In Finnish)
- Government: determined action required to guarantee sustainable wellbeing at all stages of life by 2030 (Press release 17.6.2020)
- Promotion of wellbeing, health and safety 2030 Implementation plan (Publications of the Finnish Government 2021:27)
Coordinating and monitoring the implementation of the measures promoting wellbeing, health and safety as outlined in the Programme of Prime Minister Sanna Marin’s Government
2. Serving as an expert on the health and social services reform, particularly from the perspective of promoting wellbeing, health and safety and reducing inequalities.
3. Establishing permanent structures for promoting wellbeing, health and safety across administrative sectors at the national level, and drawing up a proposal for the statutory structures for cooperation in the promotion of wellbeing, health and safety across administrative sectors.
Five divisions for carrying out the preparatory work
The Advisory Board is divided into five divisions that carry out the preparatory work on matters falling within the Advisory Board’s mandate.
The divisions appointed to support the operational priorities of the Advisory Board are:
- division for assessing and monitoring health and wellbeing policy
- division for structures and methods
- division for improving intersectoral cooperation at national level (state administration)
- division for the economy of wellbeing
- division for mental health, alcohol and drugs, and addiction