A Framework Programme for 2020–2023 has been adopted for the Joint Working Group on Health and related Social Issues (JWGHS) of the Barents Euro-Arctic Council. The priority areas of the Framework Programme are:
- Prevention and control of communicable diseases
- Improved health and increased access to health care in sparsely populated areas
- Improved environment for growth and development of children and youth
- Prevention and control of non-communicable diseases
In the priority areas, the focus will be on:
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS
- Utilizing new technology and methods in health-care
- Supporting children and young people who are in danger of social exclusion.
In 2020-2021, Sweden will be chairing the Joint Working Group on Health and related Social Issues of the Barents Euro-Arctic Council in cooperation with the Republic of Karelia.
JWGHS usually meets twice a year. Regions involved and joint project implementers present their topical reports at the meetings.