The MSAH seeks to identify, prevent and eliminate health hazards from the environment. The Ministry
- supervises health protection and is responsible for the development of legislation in this field
- is responsible for the legislation and supervision on chemicals control for the prevention of health hazards
- monitors the use and development of gene technology
- supervises the monitoring of biotechnology, and oversees the development of the sector and impact of the use of biotechnology on human health and the environment
- coordinates the assessment of health hazards in the use of nanomaterials and nanotechnology
- is the supreme supervisory and guidance authority in the protection of the population from harmful radiation
- coordinates the organization of environmental health care at municipal level
Strategic priorities and objectives for environmental health promotion
The priorities of the social and health policy strategy and the government programme are:
- Assessing the health hazard caused by environment is part of all planning and decision-making.
- Ensureing access to safe drinking water for consumers in all situations.
- Improveing the capacity of the authorities in investigating food and waterborne epidemics.
- Assessing the need for further action on potential health effects of nanomaterials, endocrine disruptors, and combined exposure to multiple chemicals.
- Further intensifying cooperation between municipalities in environmental health care.
- Ensureing the safety of chemicals on the market.
- Contributeing to the programme on healthy indoor environments with other ministries.
- Ensureing the functioning of society in special situations related to environmental health.
- Research and regulation of the environmental health risks of gene and biotechnology, as well as guidelines to ensure the safe application of new technologies.
Environmental health legislation
A variety of legislation covers the different areas of environmental health care.
Jari Keinänen, Deputy Director General
Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Department for Safety, Security and Health / TUTO, Wellbeing and Health Protection Unit / HYT Telephone:0295163311 Email Address: