Finland collaborates on social affairs and health issues, gender equality, occupational health and safety, and foodstuffs with its Nordic neighbours - Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Iceland, and with the autonomous areas of Aland Islands, the Faeroe Islands and Greenland.
Vision is to make the Nordic Region the most sustainable and integrated region in the world by 2030.The Nordic Council of Ministers will work to achieve the objectives of the vision through a series of initiatives linked to the vision’s three strategic priorities: a green Nordic Region, a competitive Nordic Region, and a socially sustainable Nordic Region.
The focus of this cooperation in the social and health sector is to promote
- the equal treatment of citizens
- societal solidarity
- the availability of primary services
- the quality and security of services.
One result of this collaboration are the Nordic social security and social service agreements to facilitate the free movement of Nordic citizens in the region.
In cooperation on gender equality the countries exchange knowledge and information, learn from the best practices and discuss topical national and international gender equality challenges. The work is based on a four-year-long cooperation programme.
The intergovernmental organ that facilitates this cooperation is the Nordic Council of Ministers (NCM). The different health and social ministries of the Nordic countries direct Nordic cooperation on health and social policy.
The ministers responsible for gender equality meet once a year and also during the meeting of UN Committee on the Status of Women´s session in New York.
- Nordic Council of Ministers
- Nordic Labour Journal
- Nordic Welfare Centre
- Nordic Information on Gender (NIKK)
- Nordic Institute for Advanced Training in Occupational Health (NIVA)
- Nordic co-operation on social affairs and health
- Action Plan for Nordic Co-operation on Disability 2018-2022 (Nordic Council of Ministers)
- The Future Nordic Co-operation on Health (Könberg´s report) (Nordic Council of Ministers)
- Knowledge that works in practice (Árni Páll Árnason´s report) (Nordic Council of Ministers)