The administrative branch of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health employs over 3,400 people.
The administrative branch includes several independent institutions and agencies, which implement the ministry’s objectives in society and participate in Government Programme projects.
Some of the independent institutions and agencies produce research data for bill drafting and as a basis for social and health policies and decision-making. Some of the government agencies act as licence and supervisory authorities.
In addition, there are several advisory committees and boards in its administrative branch.
The ministry coordinates activities in the administrative branch through a management group comprised of the top management of the ministry, agencies and institutions.
The ministry signs a four-year performance agreement with the following agencies and institutions:
- Regional State Administrative Agencies (social and health services, labour protection)
- Finnish Medicines Agency (Fimea)
- National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health Valvira
- Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK)
- National Institute for Health and Welfare
- Finnish Institute of Occupational Health TTL
- Social Security Appeal Board (In Finnish)
- Funding Centre for Social Welfare and Health Organisations STEA
The agreements and their implementation are reviewed annually. Documents concerning performance guidance in the administrative branch:
Other operators in the administrative branch of the ministry include:
- Alko Oy
- Finnish Centre of Pensions
- Social Insurance Institution of Finland Kela
- Education Fund
- The Finnish Work Environment Fund
- The Unemployment Insurance Fund
- The Financial Supervisory Authority (FIN-FSA)
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health oversees the following appeal boards and ensures the judicial protection of citizens in appeals.