Tasks and objectives
It is the duty of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health to promote the good health and functional capacity of people, healthy environments for life and work and gender equality, and to secure sufficient health and social services and a fair standard of living at the various stages of people's lives.
The Ministry's tasks
- promote the good health and functional capacity of people
- promote healthy living and working environments
- secure sufficient health and social services
- secure a fair standard of living at the various stages of people's lives
- promote gender equality.
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is responsible for the planning, guidance and implementation of health and social policy in Finland. As an organ of the Government it
- implements the Government Programme
- drafts legislation and key reforms
- guides the implementation of reforms and
- takes care of the Government's staff functions.
Fields of responsibility
The administrative sector of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is wide-ranging. The Ministry is supported in its work by the expertise of the whole sector's agencies and public bodies.
The Ministry's fields or responsibility:
- promoting wellbeing and health
- health and social services
- social insurance (pensions, health insurance, unemployment benefits)
- private insurance
- occupational safety and health, wellbeing at work
- gender equality.