The aim of gender equality policy is to promote equality between men and women
Equality between men and women is promoted and implemented with measures which, put together, constitute the Finnish gender equality policy.
Equality between women and men requires active promotion and the elimination of gender-based discrimination, also in cases where it is linked to other forms of discrimination, such as age or ethnicity.
The priorities of gender equality policy are based on the Act on Equality between Women and Men (Equality Act), the 2010 Government Report on Gender Equality, and Government guidelines. Work is carried out in all ministries and it is coordinated by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.
Government Action Plan for Gender Equality
The government is committed to promoting gender equality in all its decision-making.
The Government Action Plan for Gender Equality collates the most important measures by which the government promotes equality between women and men and combats gender-based discrimination. The new government Action Plan was published in June 2020.
Government Report on Equality between Women and Men
In 2010, the Government adopted a report on equality between women and men. The guidelines issued in the report extend until the year 2020.
Parliament requires that the Government submit to Parliament it next report on equality between men and women by the end of 2021. An interim report on the implementation of the current report was issued at the end of 2016. The report is available in Finnish only.
- Parliamentary communication on the Government Report on Equality between Women and Men (in Finnish and Swedish only)
- Information on gender Equality: Gender Equality in Finland
- Information on gender Equality: Gender equality in Finnish decision-making
- Information on gender Equality: Gender equality in Finnish education
- Information on Gender Equality: Parenthood and caregiving in Finland
- Information on Gender Equality: Violence against women in Finland
Eeva Raevaara, neuvotteleva virkamies
sosiaali- ja terveysministeriö, Työ- ja tasa-arvo-osasto / TTO, Tasa-arvoyksikkö / TASY Työllisyys-, sosiaalipolitiikka-, terveys- ja kuluttaja-asioiden neuvosto Puhelin:0295163205