The aim of gender equality policy is to promote equality between men and women
Equality between men and women is promoted and implemented with measures which, put together, constitute the Finnish gender equality policy.
Equality between women and men requires active promotion and the elimination of gender-based discrimination, also in cases where it is linked to other forms of discrimination, such as age or ethnicity.
The priorities of gender equality policy are based on the Act on Equality between Women and Men (Equality Act), the 2010 Government Report on Gender Equality, and Government guidelines. Work is carried out in all ministries and it is coordinated by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health.
Government Action Plan for Gender Equality
The government is committed to promoting gender equality in all its decision-making.
The Government Action Plan for Gender Equality collates the most important measures by which the government promotes equality between women and men and combats gender-based discrimination. The previous government Action Plan was published in 2016.
- Government Action Plan for Gender Equality 2016-2019
The preparations for the Government Action Plan for Gender Equality of the Prime Minister Sanna Marin's Government have begun. It should be completed in early 2020. Non-governmental organisations, researchers and other stakeholders will be consulted in the process.
Government Report on Equality between Women and Men
In 2010, the Government adopted a report on equality between women and men. The guidelines issued in the report extend until the year 2020.
Parliament requires that the Government submit to Parliament it next report on equality between men and women by the end of 2021 and an interim report on the implementation of the current report by the end of 2016 at the latest.
- Parliamentary communication on the Government Report on Equality between Women and Men (in Finnish and Swedish only)
- Information on gender Equality: Gender Equality in Finland
- Information on gender Equality: Gender equality in Finnish decision-making
- Information on gender Equality: Gender equality in Finnish education
- Information on Gender Equality: Parenthood and caregiving in Finland
- Information on Gender Equality: Violence against women in Finland
Background reports for the preparation of the government report include (only in Finnish):
- Naisiin kohdistuva väkivalta ja tasa-arvopolitiikka (Violence against women and gender equality policy) (Reports 2009:50)
- Tasa-arvoviranomaisten institutionaalinen asema (The institutional status of equality authorities) (Reports 2009:54)
- Työelämän tasa-arvopolitiikka (Gender equality policy and working life) (Reports 2009:53)
- Työ, perhe ja tasa-arvo (Work, family and gender equality) (Reports 2009:55)
- Sukupuolten tasa-arvo korkeakoulutuksessa ja tutkimuksessa (Gender equality in higher education and research) (Reports 2009:51)
- Koulutus ja sukupuolten tasa-arvo (Education and gender equality) (Reports 2009:52)