Student health care
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health provides overall guidance and prepares legislation on student health care in secondary and higher education.
Student health care is provided for
- upper secondary school students,
- students in secondary level vocational education,
- students of universities of applied sciences and
- university students.
Student health care is free of charge for students under the age of 18. Preventive services are free of charge regardless of the student’s age.
Student health care
- promotes students' health and learning ability;
- safeguards and improves the health and safety of the learning environment and wellbeing of the learning community;
- provides health and medical services, including early detection of mental health problems and substance abuse problems, care and follow-up guidance, sexual health services and oral health services;
- identifies students’ special support and health examination needs and refers the student to further tests and treatment if necessary.
Provisions on services are laid down by law
Student health care is a part of overall care provisions for youth, embracing their learning and physical, psychological and social wellbeing. Together with the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ministry of Education and Culture deals with student welfare, and both are responsible for the legislation in this field.
The 2010 Health Care Act includes provisions on student health care rights.
- Health Care Act (Finlex)
- Government Decree 338/2011 on maternity and child health clinic services, school and student health services and preventive oral health services for children and youth (Finlex)
Municipalities organise student health services
Health care for students is organised by the municipalities (local authorities) in which the colleges and universities are located.
The municipalities provide student health care according to their action plans. Their work in this area is monitored by the National Institute for Health and Welfare.
The Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) provides student healthcare services for university students.
Maire Kolimaa, neuvotteleva virkamies
sosiaali- ja terveysministeriö, Yhteisöt ja toimintakyky -osasto / YTO, Lapset ja nuoret -yksikkö / LANU Puhelin:0295163389
Ritva Partinen, erityisasiantuntija
sosiaali- ja terveysministeriö, Yhteisöt ja toimintakyky -osasto / YTO, Toimintakyky -yksikkö / TOK Puhelin:0295163330