Making the Nordic welfare model visible
The ongoing ageing of the population, changes in the economy and working life as well as geopolitical crises are creating new challenges for welfare states. A collaboration project between three ministries sought innovative cross-sectoral solutions and operating models for preserving social wellbeing and equality in the new situation.
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Ministry of Employment and the Economy carried out together the project An Open and Innovative Nordic Region with Healthy People 2020 – Equal Opportunities for Welfare, Culture, Education and Work. This priority project, also called Nordic Region 2020, started during the Finnish Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers in 2016 and continued until the end of 2018.
Towards stronger collaboration in Nordic welfare policies
The themes of Nordic Region 2020 were wellbeing, diversity, equality, gender equality, Nordic research and innovation activities, and culturally sustainable development. The perspectives of children and young people in particular were taken into account when planning events under the project themes.
The aim of the project was to analyse and take forward new solutions for developing wellbeing and equality in the Nordic societies. The project also aimed to strengthen the Nordic welfare policy collaboration and distribution of information between all stakeholders. The project used expertise from Nordic expert institutions.
- Nordic Welfare Centre (NVC)
- Advanced Education in Occupational Health (NIVA)
- Nordic Information on Gender (NIKK)
The total budget of this priority project during 2016–2018 was EUR 900,000. The Nordic Council of Ministers was responsible for financing the project.
Implemented in the project
- Project report The Nordic region is doing well
- Multilingualism and diversity as a resource in the cultural field – employment and integration through literature in the Nordic Countries (Culture for all)
- Economy and gender equality in the Nordic countries fact sheet
- Nordic Future of Work Conference report
- In Quest for Sustainable Europe: the Economy of Wellbeing 19.10.2018 (Programme)
- In Quest for Sustainable Europe: the Economy of Wellbeing 19.10.2018 (Invitation)
- Report: Gender Equality and Nordic welfare societies
- Symposium Report Seeking and Seizing - the Nordic Way?
- Report: Young Nordic voices: how do I shape my future? Helsinki 30.10.2017
- Conference report: Sillat-Broar-Bridges Helsinki 26.-27.9.2016
- Conference report: Miten voit Pohjola? Turku 27.-28.1.2016 (in Swedish)
Kirsi-Marja Lehtelä, Senior Planning Officer, National Institute for Health and Welfare, tel. 029 524 6879
Mia Mäkinen, Project Coordinator, tel. +358 29516 3075