Conscripts allowance and other armed service benefits
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is responsible for developing and preparing the legislation concerning conscripts allowance.
Conscripts and civilian servicemen as well as their family members may receive means-tested conscripts’ benefit during their service time. A general condition for receiving the benefit is that being in the service has reduced the applicant's possibility of earning a living and therefore he or she needs the benefit.
The benefit can be applied for at Kela.
Conscript’s allowance for civilian costs
- basic assistance for conscripts’ family members
- maintenance for conscripts’ children
- housing assistance and special assistance for conscripts’ family members
- interest on student loans
- assistance for conscripts’ housing costs.
Conscripts allowance can be paid to conscripts in active service and reservists during reservist training and to their family members
- conscripts performing conscript service
- civilian servicemen performing their service
- reservists called up for reservist training
- women in voluntary military service
- married spouse
- cohabiting partner with whom the person has a child
- own child
- child of the married spouse.
Accidents during military service
- Compensation for accidents and illnesses during service to conscripts and persons undergoing non-military service (State Treasury)