MSAH oversees tobacco control in Finland
The MSAH takes a leading role in promoting smoke-free and tobacco control initiatives in Finland. It is responsible for the implementation of the Tobacco Act, which stipulates measures to reduce smoking. The Tobacco Act's regulations are overseen by the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health. The National Institute for Health and Welfare and the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health are the main specialist bodies in activities to reduce smoking.
The main activities carried out to reduce tobacco use are
- To keep the prices of tobacco products as high as possible
- Promote smoke-free environments
- Prohibit the sales promotion and advertising of tobacco products
- Limit the availability of tobacco products
- Regulate the content of tobacco products (nicotine, tar, carbon monoxide levels) and use warnings on produce packaging
- Information and communication supporting non-smoking
- Support for giving up smoking
The new Tobacco Act entered into force 15th August 2016.
EU regulation and cooperation
The Finnish tobacco legislation considering the composition of tobacco products, quality control, import, sale and advertising restrictions is based on EU regulation.
The new Tobacco Directive entered into force 19.5.2014. Finland, as other Member States must include the new legislation in national law by 20.5.2016.
- Directive 2014/40/EU of the European Parliament and of the council on the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products and repealing Directive 2001/37/EC
Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC)
Finland ratified the WHO's FCTC in December 2004, which by July 2014 had 179 member countries. The Framework Convention is used in Finland to guide the course of tobacco control.
Meri Paavola, neuvotteleva virkamies
STM, Hyvinvointi- ja palveluosasto / HPO, Asiakkuus ja toimintaympäristö -yksikkö / ASTO Telephone:0295163343 vs99Tglox1jZzgfNuiYv7CJT6nybinnc99Tglox1jZverz:bgyvnz