Tasks and objectives
The goal of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is to ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to lead a healthy and socially secure life.
The ministry’s job is to
- promote the population's good health and functional capacity
- promote healthy working and living environments
- ensure that there are sufficient social and health services
- ensure that people have an adequate income at various stages in life
- promote gender equality
The Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is responsible for the planning, guidance and implementation of social and health policy. As an organ of government it
- implements the government programme
- drafts legislation and key reforms
- directs the implementation of reform
- takes care of the government's staff assignments.
The Ministry’s responsibilities
The administrative sector of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health is wide-ranging. It is supported in its work by the expertise of the whole sector's agencies and institutes.
Its responsibilities include
- promoting wellbeing and health
- social and health services
- social insurance (pensions, health insurance and unemployment benefits)
- private insurance
- occupational health and safety
- gender equality.