A Framework Programme for 2016–2019 has been adopted for the Joint Working Group on Health and related Social Issues (JWGHS) of the Barents Euro-Arctic Council. The priority areas of the Framework Programme are:
- Prevention of non-communicable diseases, including reducing threats related to lifestyles and the environment
- Prevention of communicable diseases
- Strengthening health systems and social services within healthcare.
In the priority areas, the focus will be on:
- Prevention of HIV/AIDS
- Prevention of tuberculosis
- Supporting children and young people who are in danger of social exclusion.
In 2016-2017, Finland will be chairing the Joint Working Group on Health and related Social Issues of the Barents Euro-Arctic Council. Arkhangelsk Region will act as vice chair.
JWGHS usually meets twice a year. Regions involved and joint project implementers present their topical reports at the meetings.