The Insurance Department directs and guides insurance policy and is responsible for drafting social insurance and other insurance legislation.
The Department is divided into five units. Furthermore, there is a Pharmaceuticals Pricing Board under the Department, which confirms the reimbursement status and wholesale prices for medicinal products reimbursed under the Health Insurance Act.
The units under the Department and their areas of responsibility
The Insurance Department is led by Director-General Outi Antila.
Pension Insurance Unit (EVY)
- earnings-related pensions
- national pensions and national survivor's pensions
- disability and care allowances
- matters related to accident injuries and occupational diseas
Director Heli Backman
Insurance Market Unit (VMY)
- operation of the insurance market, in particular matters related to the solvency and supervision of insurance companies
- motor liability, patient and environmental damage insurance
Director Hannu Ijäs
Unemployment and Health Insurance Unit (TSY)
- unemployment protection
- health insurance
- maternity, paternity and parent's allowance
- adult education allowance
- the pharmaceuticals reimbursement system
Director Liisa Siika-aho
Planning Unit (SSY)
- action and financial planning, financial administration
- the Department's human resources and general administration
Director Heikki Palm
Co-ordination Unit (KRY)
- The Department covers EU affairs and multilateral and bilateral international affairs and agreements
Director Essi Rentola
Pharmaceuticals Pricing Board (HILA)
- makes decisions on medicinal products included in the medicine reimbursement system and their wholesale prices and reimbursement categories,
- makes decisions on increases in wholesale prices of reimbursable medicines – Each decision is based on an application made by the holder of the marketing authorisation for the medicinal product.
- is in charge of decision-making regarding the reference price system.
Director Lauri Pelkonen